Search This Blog

Thursday 8 May 2014

I want to break out, I want to breeeeaaaaaak out.....

I know, I know, the worst Queen pun ever.
But with the Raspberry Pi, one of the coolest things is that you can use the GPIO pins to interface with other bits of electronics, and my second Pi (the first is my Media Centre at home running RaspBMC) is now set up with a breakout board and case to make it a little more robust.


Not sure why this uploaded upside down....
I got the breakout board from RasPi Mart on Ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271455580745) and it is actually a really good deal for around 6GBP.

Here is a closeup:

You will notice that there are 8 GPIO pins broken out (P0 to P7) as well as the UART, I2C, SPI, etc. I found it difficult to find detailed information on which pin on the breakout corresponds to which BCM GPIO pin. I traced them, and being the nice sort of fellow I am, I'll detail them for you below. Bear in mind this is a Rev 2 Pi and this board is labelled "Raspberry Pi GPIO Extension Board V2.2", so if you don't have those precise items, YMMV.


Breakout PinBCM PinNotes
P0GPIO17
P1GPIO18Also PWM pin.
P2GPIO27Was GPIO21 on Rev1 Pi.
P3GPIO22
P4GPIO23
P5GPIO24
P6GPIO25
P7GPIO4Also the 1Wire pin by default.
I2C SDAGPIO2Was GPIO0 on Rev1 Pi.
I2C SCLGPIO3Was GPIO1 on Rev1 Pi.
UART TXDGPIO14
UART RXDGPIO15
SPI MISOGPIO9
SPI MOSIGPIO10
SPI SCLKGPIO11
SPI CE1GPIO7
SPI CE0GPIO8

I hope the above is useful to you, and helps you get the most out of your Raspberry Pi GPIO experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment