Search This Blog

Saturday 8 December 2012

All hail the Nexus 7

Hi all! I just wanted to share my experiences of getting a Nexus 7 and setting it up. This post is largely prompted by some posts on The Register forums on the subject of a comparison and review of tablets for Christmas. There were a lot of comments saying how much easier it is to set up multiple Apple devices compared to Android devices. As I don't have any Apple devices, I'm not claiming this is a comparison, it's just my experiences of setting up multiple Android devices.

I have had Android phones for quite a long time, but I have only just got a Nexus 7 16GB tablet. I have had 2 Googlemail accounts and an Exchange account set up on my phones, along with a number of apps and linked Dropbox and similar accounts.

When I powered up the Nexus 7 for the first time, it asked me for my main Googlemail account details. When I entered the info, everything synced to the Nexus immediately, including things like WiFi networks I'd joined on my phone. I was amazed that the tablet connected to the WiFi network at work.

When it comes to the apps I had installed on my phone (HTC Desire S), they all installed on the tablet with a single tap. The really good thing is that even the paid for apps just installed too, without any mention of the app being limited to a specific number of devices. They also scaled very well on to the tablet, with only the Norton VIP app, required for work, looking like it was blown up. All the other apps make full use of the extra screen real estate. There have been many comments about how the Android tablet apps are sorely lacking, but in my experience, I've had no problems and I'm very happy with how the apps look on the tablet.

All in all, the setting up process was very simple and although I have no experience with the Apple ecosystem, I can't see how it would be any simpler than my experience setting up my new Nexus 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment