Search This Blog

Friday 20 August 2010

MySQL and other joys.....

I've been working on a little project to keep track of a team of people who work on a project together, and keeping track of their qualifications and training. I've been trying to make sure that the MySQL database is normalised, and considering my SQL knowledge is good but by no means expert, I've had to double check everything. The most fun part has been loading data from a CSV file into a table.
The LOAD DATA INFILE command is a little finicky if you are trying to use the MySQL dashboard, so you have to go into the command line to load the data. Even then, it is not as easy as it looks because if your first column is an auto increment primary key field, you need to make sure it is not filled with the wrong data.
Anyway, rather than boring you with my trial and error messings about, I just wanted to say how great it is to have access to an Open Source suite of software that is so full featured and powerful. Now if only there was a way to upload the whole manuals to my brain so I could actually use them to their full extent, that would be really useful. So, PHP next (gulp)......

No comments:

Post a Comment