Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Buck Passing as an Art-form

Ok, so I've been quiet for a few days, pressure of work and all, but this morning something has cropped up which has exercised me enough to get me writing again.

I've just hit a perfect example of buck passing as an art form. I'm not going to detail the guilty parties, but they should know better....

I was contacted by a customer who said their web-based EMR system was running very slowly, could I have a look at it to see why? I took a look, but the system speed was fine from 3 different locations I tried it from. I called the customer back and said it looked like an issue with the internet connection at their end, and she said that it could be as the system was slow on all computers in the office.

No problem, I thought I could call the hospital IT dept and see if there were any issues with the internet connection as we were having some issues.

WRONG!!!

The technician I spoke to was fine, she said she would check and she then called me back saying she could not find any issues, but that the rest of the internet access was fine, it was only the web-app site which seemed to be affected.

I then got a snotty email from the IT Manager, telling me the problem was at our end, they checked the line and there was no problem, and to send someone out to look at it. He obviously had no idea what connection I was talking about, but was very quick to bounce the problem back to me and tell me to deal with it.

I have outlined what steps we have taken to trace the issue from our end and am now waiting for a reply from said IT Manager, but I don't hold out much hope of a speedy resolution, and in the meantime, I have to take the complaints from the customer.

I'll keep you posted...............

No comments:

Post a Comment